Sunday, March 8, 2015

Recent movie favourites


Hey guys,

and welcome to the second instalment in a week with Mollie's Cup of Tea. I'm here today to talk to you about some of the movies I've been enjoying over the last couple of months. Winter time calls for some serious movie watching so that's exactly what I've been doing and thereby I found some real gems that I would like to share with you. I definitely recommend all of them and I think there's something here for everyone.

1. Babadook - This is a movie about a mother and son who lost their husband and father on the day the boy was born in a car accident. One night the mother is reading the boy a bedtime story and that's where the sh*t starts kicking off. The story that was in the book is about a monster called Babadook and it starts coming to life. That is all that I am going to say about the plot. 
This horror movie was wonderfully tense and atmospheric and it had no jump scares which was incredibly refreshing. I think that pointless and fake jump scares take away from the actual horror and when something that is creepy and scary happens we are no longer scared because that tension was released with the fake jump scare. This movie does not make such mistake and it kept me on the edge of my seat (well deep inside it, hiding under a 
blanket) throughout.



2. The Borderlands/Final Prayer - This is another non-jumpy horror movie that is plain, old creepy. It is done in a found footage style which I think worked well because of the actual plot of the film. The baseline story is that a group of ghost hunters/busters have been asked by a priest to investigate a remote church which is reportedly hunted. To find and record proof or it's lack, they install cameras around the church as well as wear head-cams and hence the found footage. I don't want to give anything away but I will say that the ending was a bit of a shocker in a good way. 



3. Big Hero Six - Now, on the opposite side of the spectrum we have a Disney film. It's a beautiful, heart warming story about a troubled, boy genius who loses his big brother and is suffering with grief. His brother has left behind a robot-nurse which is trying to make the boy 'better'. In this process, they encounter on a wonderful adventure together whereby they fight a villain, become heroes and most importantly they become friends. I'm not gonna lie, I cried a couple of times during this film. But I also laughed a lot and I honesty absolutely loved it and I think that it is a must watch for all.



4. Gone Girl - This movie has been talked about a LOT and no wonder. It is an amazingly mind-f**king film that makes you question what the hell is going on throughout and even at the end. The story starts with the main character's wife being kidnapped and possibly murdered. I can't say any more without giving it away but if you watch it I guarantee that you will have plenty of WTF moments and possibly scream at the screen (or at least do that in your head).



5. Two night stand - This is a super romantic film that is not a chick-flick and it just puts the biggest smile on my face. The story starts with a woman, who recently graduated from university and has no idea what to do with her life, being pushed by her room-mate into having a 'one night stand'. After the night is over and she tries to leave in the morning, it turns out that there has been a snow storm and that she is snowed in so she has to stay at the man's house. During the course of that day a wonderful, hear warming story develops which like  said makes me super happy and leaves a grin on my face.



6. Birdman - How do I even begin to explain this movie. It is a comedy drama about an actor who used to play  an iconic super hero but his career is somewhat dead and he is now performing in a Broadway play. In the build up to the play being released he tackles his ego, family issues and dead - end career. 



7. Walk of shame - This movie absolutely hilarious. It's about a news reporter woman who has a very important job interview the next day. However, her boyfriend breaks up with her so she is talked into a night out on the town by her friends and things get a little bit out of hands to say the least. She wakes up in a 'strangers' bed, severely hungover  and in a rush to get to her interview. However, it's not so easy for her to get there and she encounters multiple hilarious adventures on her way.





8. Whiplash - I saved the best for last. This is a definite kick up the backside movie as well as teaching the lesson that there are limits to what you should do to chase your dream and achieve it. It tells a story of a talented young man who is in a music school and dreams of becoming a drummer. A very... hmmm... pushy but renowned teacher takes interest in him and provides him with opportunities to achieve his dream. However, it's a very bumpy and hard road to get there. It does make you question how much 
you want something and how much is it worth. So not only is it a great movie but it's also some food for thought.




That's it for this day's post guys. I hope that you like it. You can check out my last post from this week's series here. I'll see you in my next post tomorrow.

Mollie
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment